Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Have This Neigbor

that is AWESOME! Out of everyone we have met since we have moved here I have to admit she is one of my favorites. We are lucky to have great neighbors all around but I actually like her. Her yard is a collection of plants shared from friends and various finds sculpted around her own visions of her yard. I like my neighbor, she is smart and funny, willing to not only collect eggs for me while I am gone on vacays but she actually likes my birds. I like that she is herself and confident about that. I got to go inside her house and WOW it was not at all what I expected. It was very unique and cool!
Why did i get to go over there? I was invited to be a judge for her and her friends' honey. My neigbor has 3 hives on her property (one is her brothers) and she has some friends with several hives each. My job? To pick out the best honey. The honey was collected from various times of the year from different hives. I think I tasted seven in all. She had even crafted a blue ribbon for the event-a present bow with a bee emblem glued into the middle of it. Apple juice and honey cake was served and a passage from Winnie the Pooh ( I swear she had like the first edition in her hand) talking about when the white cloth was placed on the table and a descriptive part about Tigger tasting the honey including lip smacking until he finally proclaims "Tiggers don't like honey!". We proceeded outside to the jars of honey set up on a white table clothed table. It was clever and fun and I got to take the winning jar of honey home. Since it was the first time I met these people (one of which has heaps of chickens) I didn't bring my camera and I took a secret photo with my phone. so here goes.

1 comment:

janaemadsen said...

which honey was the best?