Thursday, March 31, 2011

Egg Candling

I was told you can candle around days ten and fourteen. I maybe took a bit more liberty with those recommendations. Candling is basically when you shine a light through the egg to see what is going on. You may see a blob (the yolk) floating around, the size of the airsac, the ring of death or veins. Lots and lots of veins connecting to a little embryo. Several of my eggs were very dark shelled so it was hard to tell if the egg was viable or not. It is important to get rid of any eggs that aren't going to make it to term because then you have to worry about the air pressurizing and a stinky rotten egg exploding disgusting bacteria all over your incubator and contaminating all of your eggs.
I loved candling. Once I started I couldn't stop. I had friends over to see this amazing web of veins I would see in the viable eggs. Some were impressed others were good actors and told me what I wanted to hear but the experience for me was grand any time I could do it. I tried to take pictures. I even tried a little video with 3 assistants so everyone could see how you can see the little chicken moving around maybe even see a little foot. Those didn't work out all that great so I am going to have to pull better examples off of the internet. I tell you though there is something so fascinating with being able to have life contained in a shell held in your hands. Before lockdown we had candled the eggs and of the 24 I ordered 18 looked good. I figured I had beat the 50% odds given to me for mail ordered eggs. Well for the rest you will have to wait for my hatch day post.


No comments: