Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kindergarten? Really?


I know I normally try to limit my child's comments to the sidebar but I thought this one warranted a main post. I remember one of the biggest rules in my mind in high school was to never wear the same thing two days in a row. Now, while I will and do wear the same thing two, three, seven days in a row... I still carry the habit to my Sunday attire. It is one thing for my children to see me in the same dirty clothes, but when it involves the general public I need to maintain the "don't wear twice in a row" facade. Imagine my surprise when Maya came back from kindergarten with the following story.

Today Lindsey asked me if I was wearing the same thing I wore yesterday. I told her yes and she said EWWW that is gross! I told her it was still clean but she still thought it was gross. I didn't care though because Lindsey is just a (here is the part I like) "Fun-of Maker". She makes fun of everyone all the time.

Fun-of Maker-classic Mayaism. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by young Lindsey's tendencies to be cruel. These days kindergarteners are what 6 going on 7 years old? Back in the day that meant second grade or something. Too bad I sent my 5 year old - or maybe it is a good thing because she is too young to be hurt by the pettiness and critisism. Then again Maya never was one to doubt herself.
It did occur to me that I am a bit guilty of being a fun-of maker myself. I guess I tend to do it in a more behind the back, back-stabbing sort of way. Is that any better? Anyone else care to fess-up?

1 comment:

jillo said...

Aren't we all guilty of being "fun of makers"? That is something that I can work on too, but I also have no problem "fun of making" myself if needs be.