Friday, May 22, 2009

Tess Part II

Topic #1- I think that I need to explain myself a little bit about why I don't like furry things. Remember this "squishy face" as my good pal J likes to refer to it? This attack was from dust but the first time I had this reaction to my face was when I went on a school field trip to the "Horse Farm". I actually really loved seeing those horses. Then we got to pet them and surprise guess who found out they were allergic to horses? Luckily my mum was on that fieldtrip and did her best to help me and my rapidly swelling face. So, since then furry things have scared me because I was never sure what was going to set it off again. I can say cats do give me problems as well, but so far Tess is in the clear. She is growing on me but she still smells like dog. Hey c'mon-baby steps right?

Topic #2- D asked me if I got Tess before or after "Marley and Me". My response was both. We had Tess picked out. We weren't planning on getting a puppy we just wanted to "compare" shop for research next year or so. Tess was one of two pups left and she has a birthmark on her back that looks like a muddy spot. We knew she was an original and the one for us. We couldn't take her home until she was 8 weeks so it gave us some time to prepare. Mostly, we wanted to get our oldest daughter to get over her mortal fear of dogs. In all my wisdom I thought I would rent Marley and Me to show her how nice dogs can be. Okay, here is the spoiler for you guys. Apparently we were the only ones on the planet that didn't know it had a sad ending. Not quite as sad as "Where the Red Fern Grows" but pretty sad. At the end the girls were left in tears, and it did nothing to ease Aida's fear about how our dog won't be "crazy". Tess has brought us into the latest trend though because when we take her walking she struts her stuff and all the kids from school think she is Marley and they pet her and she just sits and eats it all up. Aida is doing much better with her fear and has been known to pet Tess every once in awhile and even bravely picked her up a couple of times. We are so proud of Aida for being brave so her siblings can enjoy the puppy they always wanted.

Lastly- I think I didn't get the dog for the kids. In truth-I got it because part of me has always wanted to lose that last 15 pounds and look like one of those girls on runner's world with the dog running alongside of her on the beach. I know this will never happen but in getting a dog-any dog, I am halfway to my goal-right?

2 comments:

Chris said...

and where are those last 15 pounds hiding--I sure couldn't see them but Tess will be a nice accessory on your runs.

I didn't know that movie had a sad ending either.

deesha said...

I asked because I just saw it on the plane. I thought it was funny that there was a dog that behaved the same way as my 4-year-old...which, in addition to my horrible allergies, is the reason we will not be getting a puppy anytime soon. Tess is cute though.

I agree - you do not have 15 pounds to lose. But you are funny. Anyway, if she is running alongside you, at least you don't have to touch her! haha