Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tess



This may come as a shock to many of you that know me but we have now graduated from home-owners to pet-owners-specifically, dog owner. It is true. We have just gotten a puppy and I try very hard to pet it sometimes.

You know when you become a parent for the first time and all of a sudden you realize that there was this entire other "world" out there-a sort of club if you will that you weren't really privy to when you were "childless". All of a sudden all of those jokes start to make sense and you actually care when someone has something to share about what they are doing with their kid to help them to sleep through the night or to eat those mashed peas.

Pet-owning is much the same, although I don't think I really want to be a part of this club. The other day there was a lady outside of kindergarten with her puppy. Now, much the same as when you have your baby and no other baby the same age is cuter or even compares to your own it was the same with the puppy. This...woman was bragging about how her puppy was so smart and it was a Malshu (mix between a maltese and a shizu). That is when it hit me. I was thinking how that miniature thing looked like a large rat covered in dust bunnies and not at all like my puppy who is a Goldador (mix between a golden retriever and a labrador-see what I mean-club.) and looks like a REAL dog, I KNEW that there was no way her puppy could possibly be as smart as my puppy.

Really? Am I really going to go there and be a competitive pet owner? I don't even like furry creatures. I loathe them. They smell and they are furry. The whole reason I like the under two kids so much is because they are like pets without the fur. Yet, here I am. I guess since I am a competitive parent it is only natural that it would spill over into pet ownership as well.

Anyway this is Tess. She has blood shot eyes because the kids keep her up all day long. She sleeps through the night and she already knows how to sit on command. Probably standard puppy behaviour but I like to think mine is extra special. Take that you little shumwlatyou. All kidding aside, Tess is a really really good puppy maybe one of these days I will hold her. :) I do owe her a HUGE thanks for making my life easier. The kids love her and she is great with them. I try not to think of what is going to happen when she is like 100 lbs...



4 comments:

deesha said...

Sara! You are such a nice mom. That so funny that you have puppy pride! One question - did you get her before or after you saw "Marley and Me?"

sivab said...

Oh boy deesha, now I am going to have to do another post. To answer you shortly both.

janaemadsen said...

we should have a dog play date!

angie said...

What a cute little dog and a cute name too! That's Savanah's middle name... you are brave. We had a puppy in Chicago that we loved, but I vowed never again. Your kids will have so much fun with her... you will too!