Saturday, May 30, 2009

Last Night

We took the girls out to a little seafood joint we have been waiting to eat at since we moved here. Everyone says it is the freshest and the cheapest. After finally finishing "The Deadliest Catch" we were in the mood for some food from the sea. Smittys is only open for the summer months so we have been patiently waiting. So far we have yet to find fish and chips that come close to good old NZ BUT this place did have very nice crumbed fish and otherwise. They have a list of the daily caught fish and then you choose from their list of sauces of how you would like it prepared or you can just have it fried. I had the tuna marinated in garlic, ginger, wasabi, and soy sauce. Very very tasty and fresh as. The kids were great because they give them a sheet of paper to color in and if it is good enough they use it as the new cover for the menu so every menu has a different picture on it. For once we had peace before the food arrived and they loved their food. I guess in the summer the wait is as long as 90 minutes we went early and waited about 25 but it was right there on the water and the kids liked checking out the boats. Still hard to believe we live so close to the ocean. Then we dropped off our kids at home and into the care of our babysitter-that lives ACROSS the street and took off for a movie.


We went to see the new Terminator movie. Mark already saw it with the inlaws but assured me that I would like it. We went to a theatre closer to our house paid our money and went to sit down. When we walked into the theatre and quickly noticed screen was super super tiny. Laughably so. We sat as close as we could and sat down thinking that maybe that would fix the problem. Nope. The screen was maybe twice the size of the biggest one you would find at best buy only it was blurry and the picture was crooked and hanging over the edges of the screen-which given the size really wasn't a surprise. Soooooo disappointed. We rarely splash out the cash to go and see a movie in a theatre but when we do it is for a movie that we deem worthy to see on a "big screen". What do you do when the screen isn't big but you paid for one? The sign said, "no refunds". Should have been a red flag but there were a lot of patrons at this theatre. After we sat there for a few minutes deliberating about what we should do (we were the only ones for that movie so far) some more people entered. "What the ^&* I can't even SEE the screen from back here! Where is it?!" and "This is THE smallest screen I have ever seen!". Later when Mark and I were talking about it he told me in all seriousness how he was just "trying to imagine that I was viewing a movie at a movie stars house or something". I commended him on his coping strategy but I then had to inform him that I was fairly certain that even a "C-list" movie star's home theatre system was surely larger.
Anywhoo we decided to take our chances for a refund. We gave the excuse that the babysitter couldn't stay as long and we would have to leave early if we stayed. They did refund us but I think they knew the truth. How could you not? I know I have lost all credibility with previous "mistruths" but I am not exaggerating -it was tiny. You probably had to be there, but I haven't laughed so hard since I mistakenly led twin to the ahem "chinese masseuse".

1 comment:

HeatherandTanner said...

I love East Coast Seafood! It's so fresh and yummy! I'm sorry about that movie theater. That's the worst I have EVER heard of. I'm glad you got a refund!