Friday, October 30, 2009

Surpise-Mom Turned Up!!




After child three we gave up trying to be stellar parents. We entered "survival mode" where all we try to do is keep the children alive and meet the minimum requirements of us as parents-they will be fed, they will have a roof over their heads-stuff like that. So, when extra school things arise such as a Halloween Parade that is the equivalent of "overtime". I prepped my kids this morning by telling them that I was so sorry that I could not make it to their Halloween Parade at school. Guilt got the best of me and I asked to leave work early. They were okay with it because they have low expectations of me as a parent now-so when I did show up to Lucy's parade she gave me an extra big smile. I guess I will just have to take the pay cut out of Lucy's allowance next month. :)
I am sure all the other parents that were there were taken for granted but me, I gave mine a small dose of disappointment in the morning and a big cup of surprise in the afternoon. I know I know I really should get started on that "Good Parenting by a Winning Parent" book. It's in the works-I promise (note: do not take any heed to any prior posts confessing being a liar).
PS
I have decided to not edit photos for awhile. I find procrastination keeps me from following through so you get to relish in the delight of real-life National Enquirer quality photos.

Lucy was real proud of herself for coming up with a costume from things that she found from around the house (thanks Jill) and was even more thrilled that she could still look pretty too.


2 comments:

Jillo said...

What a great mom! I have never been to even one parade yet. I sent mine off to school yesterday, and they didnot get "suprise mom". Nice job Sara.

deesha said...

Sara, you are a fantastic mom! The only parade I did make it to was Josh's kindergarten parade. Of course, I forgot the camera and had to endure knowing looks from the other parents who were prepared! I totally get the "survival mode." We laugh that our family motto is "Striving for Adequacy!" I figure it worked for the 2002 Olympics, why not us?