Thursday, November 13, 2008

Nit Bunny


Note the scissors and the trimmed fur.

The other day Maya came in to ask me if I could please fix her bunny's face. Turns out she did some trimming and went a little too deep. I found the scissors and the pile of hair, Maya already looked slightly stressed at the situation so I calmly asked her why she decided to cut her bunny's fur. She told me she had to cut it because the nurse (at school) spoke to the children about how nits like to build their homes in the hair close to your head. Maya was afraid of her bunny getting nits on her face because then she would no longer be able to "cuddle her".
It was a little sad to see how Maya had to make the decision of whether to cut her bunny's lovely fur or risk her bunny getting lice. This was not a joy cut- we have had our fair share of those, I think it really pained Maya to have to cut the fur ("it is so soft to snuggle").
Unfortunately the cut next to the nose was a little too deep and out of my realm of fixing. I did what I thought a good mum would do. I sent her to school, hopped in the car bought a new bunny (luckily on sale), tied the bunny's ears up in an elastic and when Maya came home I told her I glued the fur back on but it most definitely will not be able to withstand a new haircut and I had to explain why nits can't be bothered with her bunny's fur.

2 comments:

deesha said...

Oh the moral dilemmas of children! You are a sweet mum!

angie said...

What a wonderful mom you are! kam got lice once... I about died!