Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving


I have to admit that I did not take very many or very good Thanksgiving pictures. It is always hard for me to capture events because I really like being a part of them and the pressure is too great. Lucky for all of you I did get a shot of our fancy centerpiece. Ruth didn't have any idea how long she has had the turkey head but we all got a kick out of it. Maya thought it needed some eyes and nostrils so we pierced some raisins and the effect was simply stunning.
We had a fabulous time in New Hampshire. It was full on but it was really great to spend some time with family and enjoy yet another holiday that we missed while we were overseas. We had tried to recreate it but it just wasn't the same without the cold weather and the Martinellis. It is so much fun to bring out a combination of traditions and to start new ones.
I showed the girls grandma's gold colored silverware and they thought it was beautiful and got a real kick out of getting to have two forks. Fancy silverware and in excess were both things that were lacking in NZ when we were on our own recreating the moment. I think some people had to eat with spoons and the truly unfortunate had to just use their fingers. Maya in all her wisdom told us that it was no longer "silverware" it was now "goldenware". So very true young Maya! Because I am never one to leave things at that, I had to tell her that Grandma Ruth had special gold powers and that she had done it all herself. "OH! How did she do it? Did she putted the straw inside and then spin it?" "Yes-of course Maya! But now she is all out of straw so she can no longer do it." Grins from Maya.
I could go on and on about the things I am thankful for but I am all tuckered out and it would just get me all misty-eyed. To make it quick, I am thankful for my family, friends and the truthfulness of the Gospel in my life. I am in constant awe of my many blessings and I am so appreciative to everyone for the examples they have been to me and my family. I can honestly say that I think that I have become a better person for having surrounded myself with the quality of people that I have. I have a long way to go, but I at least I am off to a good start. Hugs and kisses to all!

No comments: