Thursday, September 3, 2009

Recipe for the Best B-Day Party Ever

I am not one for birthday parties. They make me nervous-even when I was a kid they made me nervous. I am too worried about whether people are going to have a good time or not. Will the activities planned be deemed "lame" and if no activities are planned will boredom prevail? Aida on the other hand does not shy from a party. So, I put aside my own insecurities and planned away. She wanted quite a big group of girls and I didn't want to deal with a sleepover so we did a movie night from 5-10 and watched the premiere of Wizards of Waverly Place the movie. The night went absolutely perfect! I am actually going to go as far as saying that I had fun as well. It was the perfect balance of the 10-year olds having some space but me still being present. Here is a breakdown of the party-you know in case any of you would like to throw the most talked about party of the year.
I printed out these faux movie tickets on business cards I had lying around and we mailed them out.
From 5-6:15pm Guests arrived and we made personal sized homemade pizzas. The kids loved 'em. I made and prebaked the crusts the night before as well as the sauce so it was easy.
From 6:15-7pm We had set up the front room to be a disco with a mini laser and lights. I cleaned up the pizza mess-which wasn't too bad since the messy stuff was done before.
7-7:15pm Aida opened her presents.
7:15-7:30 Ahhh THE cake. Also had the kids decorate their own goody bags for their sushi and any snacks they buy during the movie. EASY!
7:30-7:50 I set up our kitchen island with Sushi ingredients. Kids made sushi while i cleaned up the cake mess from the table.
7:50-8:00pm Kids bought concessions and entered the cinema for the movie at 8pm.

I know you are all speechless. "But Sara" you say- "Where is the pastel?" Thank goodness for the good folks at wilton that sell decorator icing that fits your metal cake tips! The "popcorn" is actually formed from marshmallows. After YEARS of making cakes that only left a creepy mark in peoples minds, I finally made one that impressed albeit 10-year old girls. They were all AMAZED. That's me amazing.

Proof that the above cake was mine and not pulled off the internet. Oh and Aida is cute too.

Candy sushi-kids loved doing this. The ones with the "groovy" fruit roll-ups were really cute.

The snack station. When the kids handed their tickets over to Lucy to enter the cinema she handed them each 10 "puppy bucks" to spend on snacks. We had popcorn, a huge bag of those mini candybars, and sodas. They decided how to spend their money and yet were still limited to how much candy they could have-genious right?
We hung up a sheet to make a "big screen" for our cinema. Also we closed the curtains when I wasn't taking pictures. :)


Lucy got to be in charge of selling the goods. She LOVED doing it and it kept her involved with the party but gave Aida some space with her friends. They bought stuff on commercials.

--------------------------------FIN---------------------------------------

2 comments:

Chris said...

oh sara--good work. i want to come.everything sounds awesome and that cake.

HeatherandTanner said...

This seems like every 10 year olds dream birthday party! It was a great idea!!