Friday, December 18, 2009

Gingerbread Fun

Don't worry Mark just ripped out that littlish tooth the other night and it now looks sooo much better. :)








* Hot Tip * To get the apron to look outlined in white you frost the entire person and then lick off all the icing. The icing should remain in the channels. Yet another reason why I don't like to eat things from other people's houses. What if they are doing the same?

Every year I look forward to making gingerbread houses. I was really upset when I found out Nick Jr. decided to delete my all time most favorite gingerbread house recipe. I guess it is my fault for covering the recipe with molasses every year thinking I would just print out another the following year. Lesson to all- take care of your recipes!!! I think I saw Mark give a little smirk when I realized this beause he has been after me for YEARS to stop mucking up all of my recipes and cookbooks. Unphased I decided to forge ahead and make gingerbread houses with untrialed recipes. As an extra challenge I had yet another one of my A+ brainstorms when I decided to teach my kids about 3 dimensional construction and have them measure and draw out their own gingerbread houses. My eyes were gleaming with the prospect of having a gingerbread village-all different buildings lined up together. Aida made a lovely tall skinny one with plenty of holes to stuff the candy inside of, Lucy made a massive one that I rolled so thin that it crushed under the weight of a gumdrop, Ed and Maya I printed out a template because I actually can't be bothered to figure out measurements. My fav was how Ed just randomly took candy and stuck it the roof. I also enjoyed the decorated snowmen the girls did. If my blurry photos aren't enough check out this vid Mark got. If you will notice no one ever answers Mark's questions the first time around. Not even myself. Somehow we all managed to not hear what he was saying. Sorry Mark!

4 comments:

Jillo said...

Tyson and Seth and I watched this together. In the middle, Seth felt inspired to leave and start drawing pictures of gingerbread houses. Tyson siad more than once, "Those houses are soooo cool!" He especially liked Gary the snail. We also liked how Ed said that his name was Chocolate. I will now be packing up Tyson and Seth and sending them in a box to your house because I can't create such cool houses. Nice job Bergs!

sivab said...

Thanks Jill I really look forward to their arrival! I hope you don't mind if I exploit Tyson and make him draw me pictures to sell on Etsy.

tom and jonelle said...

miss you guys....

Grandma Penney said...

The Bergs are super talented! The custom gingerbread houses, the video, articulate verbiage, then there is the over-all cuteness factor. Thank you for sharing your special and creative day with us. Love ya, m