Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tree Envy

Mark and I take turns calling each other “Ebenezer” because we have not been very good Christmassers this year. The kitchen wore us out and now we leave for NH so we figured what is the point?

Our “huge” fake 6 footer that we got last year is even more fake looking than it is dwarfed in our living room. Did it shrink in the attic? (After all, I have noticed that my clothes seem to shrink in my closet). Too lazy to get any of our meager, mostly broken ornaments out of the attic I resorted to my NZ style Christmas tree-the one where we craft a bunch of stuff and stick it on the tree.

The inspiration this year was to make some good old fashioned, customized with every name in a different font garland. I gave up halfway through and told Mark to just drape it on the tree like a Miss America Sash.

The wadded up piece of fabric at the base of the tree does nothing to camouflage its spindly fake “trunk” that is indeed smaller than one of the branches.

Lucy and I had some tear-drop ornaments in the works until Ed came along and wadded them up and threw them around the room and to be honest no, it did not look like snow.

Today I went up into the attic of the woman I care for to get her fiber optic tree “from several years ago now”. I set that up with its fancy fiber optics, silver vase-like base, and glittering plastic stars and I had envy. Could it really be that my tree is so bad this year that I had tree envy for this fiber optic wonder?National Tree SZIX7-102-36

2 comments:

tom and jonelle said...

I would have tree envy for this too.......We sent toms hippy sister out to get our tree....oh my word. I think its a charitable trust and tom said 'what is this? its like you went to the orphanage and picked out the ugliest kid".

sivab said...

LOL jonelle. Was it really "tom" that said that?! I hope you smacked him! I miss those NZ trees that look like shrubbery.