Monday, May 17, 2010

The Girls

I figured everyone was dying to get a chicken update and these days I am always willing to talk about them because I have learned quite a bit. Just in case anyone was worried, they were only in the garden beds for the photo shoot and the younger ones are separate from the older ones. Tess has been outside at the same time as them unsupervised but within an invisible fence. The chickens are just now getting comfortable roaming further from the coop so I suppose I will need to be more careful about that...
So far I am enjoying being a chicken owner. What I realized too late with the dog is that dogs have feelings and needs just like a young child-but worse in many other ways so it really only amped my stress levels. I like to say the dog is for the kids and the chickens are for me. The chickens are brainless yet entertaining and I feel no guilt for neglect like I do with Tess the Dog. So anyway here are my girls and yes, many of them look similar-Lucy is really the only one that can tell the difference. :) If you want to see the bigger versions you will need to click on the picture.



Ed also named this one Eddie at the same time Danielle named hers Danielle but his sisters talked him into changing the name since he already had a chicken named Eddie. He chose "Buddy" because that is one of his nicknames and his favorite dinosaur on Dinosaur Train.

Danielle has since claimed this as her chicken because she decided she liked the white one instead but I am not giving this one up. I named her popcorn because she looks like popped corn. Since I got her her feathers have gone all crazy so I am thinking she may be a frizzle? She gets along with everyone but she is a stress case.

Caramel was added last and I am glad every morning when I check the brooder and she hasn't been pecked to death for being a small intruder.

Danielle is a bit of a bully but she was humbled by the big chickens when they went for her toes because they thought they were worms. Don't worry the toe pecking has stopped.

Lucy's chicken and the most held of the bunch as you can see.

Poor Tess. She is contained while the chickens roam free. So far she doesn't bark at the chickens which is good because if they are stressed they won't lay as often. I think mostly Tess hates the neglect she has gotten since the arrival of the chickens. It really is only a matter of time until and "incident".

1 comment:

janaemadsen said...

oh Danielle is always a bully.