Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mothers Day to Me

Mother's Day is quickly moving up the list to being my favorite holiday. Today I was in a conversation with some ladies about Mother's Day. One of them was a little upset because she has one child and is 36 weeks pregnant with baby number 2. This morning she woke up to her child sleeping on her head and her and her mother exchanged presents while their husbands slumbered away. He didn't make it any better by giving her some flowers and when she asked if there was a card from her daughter he said it was the one that came with the flowers. I guess she was hoping for some homemade thing evoking sentiment and warm fuzzies. Several of the ladies came to his defense saying how really it takes years (this was only her third) and you have to train the family to know what to do for you. I was shocked that she at least hadn't taught him to TRY to let her sleep in. Sometimes there isn't any sleep but it is just nice to not have to be the one to jump out of bed first or in my case just not feel guilty about hubby having to jump out of bed first.
What she failed to understand in my eyes is that Mother's Day isn't like Valentine's Day or your Birthday it really isn't a holiday it is a state of mind. The idea is that on Mother's Day it is truly "Queen for a Day" where whatever I say goes and no one can complain about it. Every whim and demand within reason and even some that aren't are to be granted. I started prepping my family for Mother's Day a week ago. Maya gave me a new card everyday and I liked it. They knew breakfast was a given and last night I lovingly reminded them that not only could they not knock on my door in the early hours of the morn but I didn't want to hear any noise at all from any part of the house this morning.


Lucy's class called all of the Dads in to help with Mother's Day surprises and he was great to go and help her for 1.5 hours on a weekday. I liked that. Yesterday (Saturday) Mark gave me the gift of a quiet house while he took the kids on errands and worked on a surprise gift in the garage all day long. The quiet house made me feel zen-like and full of love. I told Mark that I decided that Mother's Day would be spent hanging out all day with my children. Okay, so that didn't really happen but I enjoyed my long nap, my nice dinner the AWESOME homemade gift goodness. I remember always being disappointed that I couldn't get my mom something nice for Mother's Day but now I can see why she said she like the homemade ones the best. I thought she was saying it to be nice but as a mother, I really do enjoy those ones the best. They are creative, thoughtful and one of a kind. Ed caught on to the gift giving and kept finding favorites of his to give me all day long so thanks for the pictures of "rivers" and for your deflated red balloon from the fair yesterday. So here is a picture of me with my lovelies-thanks Mark for getting a rare picture of me.  For those of you wanting a closer look at me I have included the portrait Maya drew of me for Mother's Day.  I will have to post other Mother's Day bounty tomorrow.  I hope everyone had a good Mother's Day-I have to say this has been the best one so far.  They only seem to get better and better.

3 comments:

janaemadsen said...

my sister in law started the mother's day magic with saying her husband watched the kids all day... the BEST IDEA EVER. I love mother's day.

deesha said...

I completely agree on the husband "training!" I didn't realize I had so many expectations about the day until my first Mother's Day came and went...and I cried that it was a stupid holiday. In the years since then, I have gotten better at both articulating and managing my expectations. I think it also got infinitely better as my kids got older. I'm so glad you had a great weekend! You look gorgous in both pictures!

Jillo said...

I really love this picture!