Monday, November 30, 2009

One Star Pet Peeve

I have many pet peeves but today I was reminded of one when researching a cookbook online.
0 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Bound, Falls Apart, June 4, 2009
By Gail Abrams (Little Silver, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I spilled some white wine while following a recipe, and all the surrounding pages fell out. For a cookbook to use glue that dissolves when wet for its binding is disgraceful!

Disgraceful. Hmmmmm....

1. I really really hate it when people on amazon give a product one star when they had a dissatisfied experience with the supplier. They then say the product is "absolutely the best!" Don't they realize that it brings the overall rating for the ACTUAL product down? I only click on 4 stars and up so if the rating is down due to something having NOTHING to do with the actual product I will be missing out. For example if you spill WINE all over the cookbook can you really give the CONTENT 1 star?

2. Allrecipes. Again based on the rating system. IF you are making let's say "The World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie" (a common title for a recipe found in Allrecipes-one that is aka the "Nestle Toll House Recipe" but shhhh we will let Betty think that it really is her great-grandmother's secret recipe from France) it is not fair to give the said recipe one star if you do a copious amount of substitutions. For example for the cookie recipe they will tell you how they hadn't any eggs so they just used egg beaters, no butter so they used spray on olive oil, and no chocolate chips so they used red hots and THEN they will tell you how they can't believe all the rave reviews and they will have to give it one star because their cookies were dry, crumbly and in dire need of some chocolate. If you don't follow the recipe exactly don't give it a bad star!

3. Restaurant Review Liars. These are the owners that log on to all the food review sites and give their biased reviews under some sort of made up name or get their friends to do so. This angers me because then the rating is unfairly driven up. Mark and I don't get to travel on our own too often so when we do get sitters and decide to shell out some money and travel time it is REALLY REALLY disappointing when you get to a place that you have carefully researched to find that it is horrible. Often we have one shot for dinner so when owners lie and they get their friends who have never eaten there to lie it really is beyond annoying. I know I lie about a lot of things but this is where I draw the line it is just plain deceitful. Sure you want your business to do well but do it by actually BEING a good restaurant and get honest feedback so you can improve. I understand the motivation to lie I don't go on ratemyprofessors and give Mark full marks and a chili pepper when I have not taken any of his classes. I know eventually student reviews will speak for themselves because I know he is a good professor. Besides he already has a "hot" vote. :)

2 comments:

Mike H. said...

See "yelp.com." Best chow fun in town my foot. Or feet. No matter, they are all lies. Oh yeah, Sara, why haven't you accepted my facebook invite yet? Mark is already in my "circle of trust." Of course, I did have to give him a "hot" vote to get the accept.....

shamwow said...

Sara I am so glad that you have brought this maddening reality of reviews out. I have often wondered what gives someone the right to review a recipe when they say, " I found this recipe YUCKY, I didn't have any flour so I through in cream of wheat and I didn't have any oil so I added grape juice." How can they review a recipe when they didn't follow the recipe? It's hard to even find a review where they actually made the recipe how it is written. Anyway great commentary Sara.