Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Day in Town

Maya's Fudge Snowman

Mark and I have just about come full circle here in NZ. When we first moved out here we participated in Kidsfest and now as we leave-Kidsfest 2008. Our first year we did kite making and Argo rides and for the past few years the girls have enjoyed participating in Fudge Spectacular. The fudge cottage provides the children with malleable fudge that they can sculpt into whatever they want and decorate with candy. The first year Lucy won first place for her Spongebob sculpture. I was equally proud of Aida who built a huge pirate ship out of fudge and really maximized using as much fudge and candy as possible to fill out the piece of cardboard. Lucy's spongebob was adorable but it only took up a quarter of the cardboard. Since then the kind folks at the Fudge Cottage have decided to allocate each child the same amount of fudge and a small pile of candy. It has been a couple of years now but just as this was our last year, Aida managed to pull a third place this year and in addition to her sculpture she received a certificate, a bag of flavoured fudge, and a bag of lollies. Go Aida! Lucy and Maya (who was not quite the age requirement, but we heavily rehearsed her saying she was indeed five in a variety of circumstances) decided to go with building Fudge Snowmen. They were very cute and just so you can all share in the joy of Fudge I took some pix.
Lucy's Fudge Snowman


Aida's Fudge Flower

It was such a beautiful day in town so Ed and I too the liberty of going for a walk around the Botanical Gardens while the girls played with their fudge. Here are some photos of Ed and the fountain at the entrance way and a shot of Christchurch. I was lucky because some very naughty child was reaching under the gate and pulled out her hand to reveal her entire forearm and hand were covered in duck poop. Lucky for me, a child of mine would never do such a thing... I was glad I saw this little mishap because the mom of the offender was prepared and did not freak out at all. They cleaned her up and went along their merry way. I am one of those that just leaves the house. No nappies, no food, no wipes, nothing. I would have completely freaked because I would have had to wipe the duck poop off onto my jeans. It doesn't matter how many times I have had to bum a nappy off of someone at church, I still fail to go prepared. So thanks to this prepared mum, I was sure to make certain Master Ed did not try to touch the water.


No comments: