Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Heebie Children

So lifelike...

Tha Guts

I can scarcely remember the last time I was able to go to bed without fear. Okay, so I do remember. It was nine years ago before I had any children. My children are able to evoke a lot of fears in me on a daily basis. Nighttime is usually their favourite time to strike. First there is when you are just lying down and you are so so tired only to hear a door squeak...footsteps....pause...enter kid with an "itchy spot", "bad dream", "thirsty", or one of my favourites, "I can't hear Lucy snoring, I think she is dead!" This first fear is just the fear that you will have to get up in the freezing cold and you can't fall asleep just yet or you fear if you do, they willl come at that crucial time of just falling asleep and you wake gasping for breath.
Second, now this one is one that really gets me and the sole reason I always make sure Mark sleeps closest to the door-the 1 or 2 am wake-up. Now this one is when you have been asleep for awhile. So long and so deep that you can't anticipate or hear the door squeak or pitter patter. No, this is when you just have some kind of sense that you need to wake up and WHOA Nelly! You open your eyes to find right next to your bed at eye level, a child staring at you. Not saying a single word, just staring. Who knows how long they have been standing and staring, but there they are. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. Apparently they must do this intentially because they have decided to bring this creepiness to early evening hours as well. Mark and I will be working at the desk when again, we get that feeling and there is a kid standing there. Breathing silently and staring.
One night we were working and that sense came along but we would look around the room and there was no one. It just wouldn't go away and we kept looking to the side and behind us. Nothing. Come to find the next day Lucy told me how she had snuck in to the tv room to get Glow-E bear and how dad didn't see her. "He looked right at me and I saw him but he didn't see me." How could that be? I was there and I remember seeing Mark looking up with a start several times looking for something that he never did see. I believe it though. One night we were in our room with the door open and the kids were in bed. We heard one door open then another, then the door closed and then the other one. The path from point "A" to point "B" goes right past our bedroom. When we heard the first door we watched. We watched the whole time and we never saw anyone. Neither one of us. All we can derive from this is that Lucy must have some crazy Ninja skills.
The reason I bring all of this up is because Mark and I woke in the morning to find this on the sitting on the couch along with another one with a bear head, fully stuffed while the girls hid. I know it seems silly because the head really gives it away but at first glance it really freaked us out. Even after we got over the shock and knew what was going on, this things continued to freak us out for days following. I kept thinking there was a kid sitting somewhere or Aida would swing them around by the legs and I would give a startled scream telling her not to swing Maya around so fast. Yes, the girls had fun with them for awhile. The other one wasn't as sturdy because it was stuffed with skipping ropes, and blocks but "Anna" survived until I dismantled her today. Are we alone in this or do your children give you the heebie jeebies?

2 comments:

sisterace said...

Very life like and oh so creepy. That actually may help with all of the packing. It seems you can stuff quite a bit in a sleeper and a few stuffed animals too.

janaemadsen said...

I love it! Once we snuck in on my mom naked and all colored in marker- we were Indians you see. Good thing Danielle is still in the crib- but I already fear the silence.