Monday, July 28, 2008

EEEEEEEEEE

One of the things Mark and I really thought was hilarious when we first moved to NZ was how they added "eeeeee" to everything. For instance, just now I recieved a response from my Trade Me Auction #347298 and it stated, "Please advise of pick-up addy". I admit it took me a minute of quietly mumbling to myself "addy...addy...addy...ADDY!" Address. Of course! I shared this with Mark and it only too him one "addy" and he LOLed big time. Sometimes we like to just try to name all of them. Now that I am writing this I am having a mental block to all of them. I know I will mispell all these because after 5 years I really have no idea how to spell them. Is it an -ie or -y-who knows and does it matter? Kiwi friends please advise and contribute to the list.
Skippys-Corn Flakes
Kiwi-New Zealander
Kindy-Pre-school
Addy-read above
bikkie-biscuit
lolly-candy
chippies-chips
barby-bbq
chilly bin-cooler
sickie-take time off work
greasies-fish and chips (I know-I haven't the foggiest)
Hokey-Pokey-sea foam candy
Pokies-slots
dodgy-bad and unreliable
cuzzy-cousin
footy-rugby
skivy-layer shirt
cardy-buttoned-up-the front sweater
skiddy-can't remember
relly-relative
sunnies-sunglasses
Uni-University-College
crickey
hoody-Hooded Sweatshirt
telly-television
wellies-galoshes
wally-clown, loser
pinky bar-chocoate covered marshmallow confectionery
twisties-cheese flavoured twists
nappy-diaper
fizzy-soda
dummy-pacifier

Anyway, some of my interpretations are probably wrong. I have to admit I have often felt quite ditzy because I have had to give Kiwis this vacant look as I try to interpret what they are saying. Even though it is all "english" I have been lost often. Not so much now, but when we first moved here it took a bit of getting used to. I was one of those parents that had to wait for my child to come home and interpret for me. In a small way it was worse than being in a non-english speaking country because there was this element there that I should be understanding what they were saying but I often didn't have a clue what certain things were. I think for awhile I sort of shunned having to talk to the other parents because they often had no idea what I was saying or talking about. Strange times, but very humbling and it gave me alot to think about.
Maybe they do have these in America but I had not had to deal with them before-I remember having to call other parents and ask what it meant when the kids were able to have a mufti day or what coulottes (I don't think americans used them much after 1943-or more likely I had been sheltered from them in sunny CA) were. It is funny now that I can look back on it all. It has been interesting for me to finally understand things that have been thrown around America for so long that their origin became vague. Again, this could be my own ignorance but there are many nursery rhymes that I have had "a-ha moments" wtih since I moved here. To actually get to eat hot-cross buns, or a pie that you can eat with your hands that wasn't a marie calender chicken pot pie, see a paddy cake pan and partake of a sweet-mince tart were all new experiences for me. So thanks NZ for the enlightenment and all the "eeeeeeeeeeee" I love it, I really do.
P.S.
Thank you T&J for the tee. I only wish that you had given me it like 5 years ago. It is all coming together now...

3 comments:

bmark said...

Sara, I had a looksie at you and you are a cutie!

Claire said...

There's a fizzy in the chilly bin. Now I can talk like I'm a local!

me said...

I think kiwi's get the eeeee thing from aussies, they're a lot worse! Or they'll add O to everything, you should hear the names people call everyone at nic's work, He's Nicko.
I love the difference between NZ english and US english, we always make fun of americans for the language barrier.
I didn't really expect it but we have the language barrier with Australians too! for example cooler=chilly bin=eski, and markers=felts=textas