Monday, January 12, 2009

Maximum Weight Limit



Trusty as they were it was time for them to go, a bit sad really. Then I thought, what could be a better send off than a post on my blog?

I am not sure if I am happy or discontent at the fact that I pretty much look the same as I did in high school. It would appear that my body reaches a certain weight and refuses to go any lower-I just maintain or go higher. It took many years to realize this fact but after having oodles of kids I guess I can't complain about this strange phenomenon. The thing is, it really is uncanny how my body monitors itself. For example, during today's run it happened, the dreaded maximum weight limit had been attained.
I have mentioned before how much I really do enjoy running, well, I hate it but I love it you know what I mean? I like the way I feel after wards or the way I feel on a particularly good run when I am able to fly past someone skinnier than I am and scare them while doing so.
Anyway, the point is, I have always run and I plan to continue to do so as long as I am able. Here is the the problem, if I exceed a certain weight by any amount, my left knee does not take kindly to it. No, really it just decides that beyond a certain amount of weight the work just isn't worth it. It is only the one knee that cares. I know it probably has something to do with pronating and all that but it keeps me in line. I know if I don't keep my act together, running is off the agenda. Today was one of those days when the knee decided to let me know that I have been a little slack in the health department and I need to kick it up a notch. Lucky for me I was able to retire my old running shoes after 2.5 years and with the power of my "ghost" shoes I was able to power through my knee's weight niggle to burn off that extra 200 grams that was causing the problem, enough to run without pain and pass a whole group of skinny high school runners. Yeah I scared them real good, I even got a squeal and it gave me a good chuckle as I sailed by them. I am even more uber excited to run because since it is the new year, there are a buffet of unsuspecting folk out there working on their new year's resolutions to get fit- plenty of people to sneak up on to break up the monotony of running. For those of you that knew me as the "machine" let this be notice that the name is now changed to "the ghost". Now I am just left wondering if those oreos I just ate put me at the limit for my next run...

2 comments:

janaemadsen said...

to be the same weight as high school. sigh. maybe I should start running. But the ghost walkers might pass me.

sivab said...

Ah but then you would have had to be my size in high school...