Thursday, May 29, 2008

First Bank Account

A couple of weeks ago we took Aida to set up her first bank account. She had been saving and hoping for one for the past 6 months or so, so we decided to go ahead and get her one. I mean if the girl wants to save that bad, who are we to stop her? Aida has been quite a good saver and it has actually kept me from buying too many extras because to prove a point, now when she wants something I give her the option to use her money. Of course her money means more to her than my money means to her so inevitably she will always choose to save.
The bank account has actually been much better for us because now we just have to go online and transfer between accounts instead of scrounging up whatever loose change we can from around the house because goodness knows I don't have even an allowance worth of cash in my wallet, let alone enough for two allowances. The REAL nice thing about her account is that we no longer have money flying around the house and getting lost.
I think I have repaid them in their own allowance several times over, which would be great if there weren't the minutes of weeping and waling going just prior to getting paid, lamenting the loss of "x" amount of dollars. Tithing is easy too because at the end of the month we just withdraw the needed amount and her pocket money to keep on hand. Just yesterday we got Lucy in on the action as well. The only sad part is how by the end of the month the girls' balances are higher than ours. Hmmm-I hope this doesn't come to a case of the blind leading the blind.
Lastly, the most bestus part of a starting a kid's bank account is the free goody. Aida got the BNZ Piggy piggy bank. Very cool souvenir for us, I mean her to take back to the States. It brought me back to when I first opened my bank account with all the money I had saved for doing word searches for my Grandma Auntie. I was so pleased to go and get my Cocker Spaniel Plushy complete with furry ears and collar. What a thing to get something for free, just for giving them all my money to keep. I was so disappointed when Zions only gave me a checkbook that I had to pay for and nothing for free. Okay, that isn't true, I think they had some saltwater taffy on the lady's desk and you can bet your bottom dollar I took more than my fair share of taffy. What did you get for opening your first bank account-c'mon I really wanna know!

2 comments:

bmark said...

When I opened my first bank account at Bank of New Hampshire I got a little safe. It was made of tin and was red and gray. It had a cool combination lock on the front that I used to open all the time.

angie said...

My 3 oldest wanted a bank account so bad that we made it a Christmas present! Guess what? they got nothing! So cheap! Since they didn't know the difference, they were fine with just the account ledger and are very proud. That is the cutest little piggy bank- great job Aida!