Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Old Favourites

How could you not love these little chubby hands?


In Maya's world, anything is possible.

The other day I found Maya and Ed playing together. Most of the time Maya likes to do what she can to get Ed to bite her, but this day was different. There was calm. Maya was building her brillo towers and Ed was doing what he could to help. He was actually getting the knack of things, but it was not long before the tower would become nothing more than a pile of brillo on the carpet (accidentally). Maya did not get upset. She would just pick up the pieces and build a new one. Ed also really enjoyed playing with the Little People Sesame Street toy.
Aside from the calm, the great light and the delightful subjects, I had to take pictures because there I had my children enjoying the same toys I enjoyed when I was a child. Not literally, but thanks to a resurgence of retro toys and ebay, years ago I was able to aquire some old favourites. I love toys like these, ones they get to use their imagination and just create. Maya has been a creative powerhouse for sometime now, but Ed has been on destructo mode since he started walking. He is very clever at sorting things out but he usually uses his powers for destruction instead of creation. On this day he was trying to be careful and gentle. I suppose they stopped making Little People in the original manner for choking purposes, I don't know-but they were THE BEST! Aside from a few clicking noises, there are no noises. The children have to make things move through cranking or pushing or twisting instead of just pushing a button and letting the batteries do the work. Simple times simple pleasures. Do you remember any of your favourites?

1 comment:

bmark said...

I used to love a cool robot toy called 'Mr. Machine'. Anyone know where to get one?