Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Laundry Days



One of the things I decided to do this year was to take more pictures of everyday things. It was after I saw some of the pix that the girls took that I realized that while I appreciate most any pictures of my children, looking back the ones that I hold the most fondness are the ones of us doing what we do. The mundane. We often don't take pictures of these things because we see them as everyday occurrences, ones that we don't consider worth remembering or they are so habitual that we will just use them as I remember whens.... Yet, when I see a picture of these mundane things I often look at those with more fondness than those that are of a singular event. I find that I will squint to see some of the background of an old house we lived in or I will smile when they are wearing their favourite t-shirt.
So, that being said, let me introduce the obvious. Laundry days. It was one of the first things Mark and I had to adjust to when we first moved her to New Zealand. Hanging out clothes outside to dry. I went through cycles of hating it then loving it then hating it then loving it... It is nice to get out into the sun, to see Ed running through the sheets, and to have that fresh breeze smell in our sheets and clothing. I learned to love those "permanent press" days full of wind and sunshine that would dry my sheets in 15 minutes and as an added bonus they looked freshly pressed. I also just had to post this because I love Ed's little bum just before he climbs into the basket. I still haven't found any redeeming quality about unloading the dishwasher other than that I didn't have to hand wash them. Have you any chores that you have learned to enjoy?

No comments: