Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Trashy Town


Wednesdays are a must walk day for Maya, it is the day the world becomes Trashy Town. Before you go thinking she is terribly clever (although she is), it is from the children's book by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha. First line being: Mr. Gilly is a trashman. The book is repetitive and after each collection is the sing-song "Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the Trashy Town!"
Wednesdays are trashy town because that is rubbish collection day. Here in my town people are officially allocated one city bag a fortnight. They aren't even the large black bags, they are more like the white kitchen bag size. When Mark and I first moved here we were appalling. Our first month or so we marched out there with our 6 bags for the week, set them down and ran. Luckily the pile is shared with a few other houses so it isn't too obvious that we are the trash villians of our cul-de-sac, but I am fairly certain they all know it is us. Since then we have managed to cut it down to 2 rubbish bags a week, still 4 times the allocation but what are you going to do? We used to compost and that helped but once Ed started walking around and we noticed him walking around with moldy apple cores and the like we started to taper. We moved it into a small ice-cream container under the locked sink but while that was no longer convenient for Ed to eat scraps it was also not convenient for us laza-muffins so we returned to our trashy selves.
This all makes it more fun for Maya because we never know who will have a rubbish bag out one week or how many. She loves to run to each found rubbish bag and count them. Sometimes there will only be like 5 on a whole street. The whole fun is that the houses and numbers always change. The walk goes by pretty quick, especially if there are few rubbish bags out because she runs from one to the next. If any of you are wondering why I have so many quotes from Maya it is because of these kindi walks. I rather enjoy it because trying to talk to her while I am busy is quite draining but when I have nothing else to do but walk with her I rather enjoy the enlightenment she provides.

On this particular morning we went out "Jack Frost had a very busy night" because everything was covered in frost.

4 comments:

lilylilylilylilyllylilylilylily said...

white stuff=cold (sorry)
Maya is very smart and observant.

tom and jonelle said...

Maya, is cutie cutie, she can and does find entertainment in the coolest things. Nice book review, I am enjoying it. How funny that Chris thought it was a non main stream book ,I would like to see something that OPRAH recommends continue to be non main stream.You really should take away those photos on your "woe is me (us) post. We believe your words sara, we don't need to see you looking like all mooshed up.I prefer the hot mama of 4 look. see you tommorrow at running

sivab said...

Jonelle, I can not and will not remove smooshy sara because then I will no longer get sympathy, love and banana boxes from those nearest and dearest to me. :)

janaemadsen said...

How in the world do these people throw away so little? One of my favorite things about where I live now is that we can just put anything next to our trash can and they take it. We fill up a whole large can every week. Sometimes with extras.